Thursday, July 24, 2008



David Berthy Posts:

I never gave Smokey Robinson his proper due until recently, something that likely stems from overexposure to The Big Chill soundtrack as a child. Despite an inordinate fondness for traveling by car, my parents owned exactly three cassette tapes in the 1980’s. Since the other two were Silk Road Volumes 1 & 2 by Kitaro and Abba’s Greatest Hits, I didn’t have much room to maneuver on the request front, and The Big Chill soundtrack won out again and again. In recent years, I’ve recovered enough to appreciate what an amazing singer Smokey is. My favorite track of his comes from his 1973 self-titled solo effort, Smokey’s first without the Miracles. “Just My Soul Responding” is notable for possessing a harmonious mix of seemingly disparate elements. Native-American chanting, a shifting narrative device, violins, saxophone, and socially conscious lyrics are all pulled together by Smokey’s truly singular vocal performance. After repeated listens, I can go back to “Tracks of My Tears” and “I Second That Emotion” with fresh ears, provided “Joy to the World” and an interminable journey to a distant national park aren’t a part of the experience


JUST MY SOUL RESPONDING

No comments: