Monday, October 20, 2008



Forgive me friends, but this track is killing me, so I feel compelled to post it. A while back I posted a version of Chuck Berry's The Promised Land by Swamp Boogie king Johnny Allen. I've had a mild obsession with the song ever since I heard it years ago on a roots of americana Uncut compilation. We even played it at The Uke Cabaret. Then, the other day, while searching for the Elvis track I posted Friday, I came across his version of the Promised Land, recorded in the heydey of his later Vegas Days, 1975.
I've never really listened to stuff from his late period, and I find it infectious in a way that makes me smile and sing along. I mean, really, this track smokes, from the funky opening organ riff right through three guitar solos and countless Jerry Lee Lewis style piano flourishes to the end.

The Promised Land

No comments: