Wednesday, March 11, 2009


David Berthy Posts

I’m pretty obsessed with this David Bowie cover of the Velvet Underground classic “I’m Waiting For The Man.” Like the best covers, it allows you to experience what it’s like to hear a canonized song all over again as Bowie truly makes the song his own. I love how he adds texture to his interpretation by employing both the laconic cool of the original and his own glam swagger--the move from the former to the latter makes for an irresistible build. While we’re on the subject, I’ll throw in another of my favorite Velvet’s cover, this one of “Femme Fatale,” by Big Star. Here, Alex Chilton utilizes the same aching innocence you hear on the band’s classic song “Thirteen.” Whereas the original comes off with sneer, Chilton’s ache here brings out the unrequited love lurking beneath the song’s accusations.

VU COVERS

1 comment:

Tony B. said...

Oh man ... the link expired already. OK, it was 12 days ago, but ... any chance you can repost this?