Monday, November 16, 2009

New Music Monday-El Perro Del Mar +Girls



I stopped by Reckless last week and found these two albums on display side by side. I grabbed both and headed home and soon discovered that both artists were playing shows in town the following night. Sadly, I missed them both, but have been enjoying the records since. Love is Not Pop is a straight up break-up record, and like the tewo albums prior, is much more about creating a mood than song-craft. I happen to revel in that mood of doo wop melancholy, though, so this one's another home run for me. Plus, her sound has evolved and expanded to include some great new elements-some acoustic, some electronic. Though its not the best song on the album, I include for you today, her cover version of Lou Reed's "Heavenly Arms" (The Blue Mask 1980)

Heavenly Arms

No comments: