Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rusted Guns of Milan



Art Brut's Impotence anthem was the highlight of their blistering set at Metro on Halloween. I happen to love this band, but if you're not a fan, I can understand why, especially if melody is important to you, even a little. For me their sheer exuberance, brutal simplicity, and great sense of humor make up for that little omission. Oh, also, their drummer, dressed like an extra from Starlight Express or Xanadu, played the entire show standing up. I'm not talking about some Stray Cats thing with just a snare and a ride either... this was a full-on ROCK, and he was fantastic.

DOWNLOAD THE RUSTED GUNS OF MILAN

PS. If you should ever want to create your own Art Brut song, just follow these easy steps-

1.Pick A Phrase, any phrase- Shout it 3-4 for times in a row- this will be your chorus, and in most cases, your song title.
(Leave the lights on, we formed a band, modern art makes me want to rock out, my little brother just discovered rock & roll, and I'm considering a move to LA have all worked for Art Brut)

2. Make up a story and tell it in a spoken, conversational tone. If possible, it should be confessional and make some reference to how lucky you your are to be getting laid, or how unlucky you are not to be getting laid, or in the case of this song, how bad you are at it. This will become your verse.

3. Come up with some irresistable monster riffage behind it and some group chanted oohs and ahhs

1 comment:

quickdraw said...

I know I can, I know I can, I'm fine when I am with my own hand.