Monday, December 10, 2007

Over The Garden Wall


The Musical Box-Black Show

Last Thursday, The Hitmaker took me to see the Musical Box at The Vic. Not your garden variety tribute band, this Montreal quintet, officially sanctioned by Genesis, creates a note-for-note musical and visual reproduction of specific vintage-era (1972-1974) tours, including the original sets, costumes, slides, and even the stage banter.

As a fan of early Genesis, I admit I was a bit skeptical going in, but from the opening notes of "Watcher of the Skies" through to the end of the show, I was mesmerized at the musical dexterity and visual splendor of the band. It was worlds better than the overblown Genesis reunion tour I saw with the Hitmaker earlier this year.

From the Sun-Times:

"Airy woodwinds, acoustic guitars and symphonic keyboards reinforced the narratives' pastoral themes. Surreal images, black-light illumination and vivid costumes underscored meaning and suggestion. Filling Gabriel's role, vocalist/flutist Denis Gagne donned an array of unusual get-ups. With his eyes highlighted by a day-glo mask, he pecked like a bird during "Watcher of the Skies." The opening song's churchy undercurrents and ominous moods were indicative of the evening's shifting dynamics. Devoid of simplicity and steeped in drama, compositions featured demanding tempo changes and odd time signatures"

Here, then, is "I Know What I Like (in your wardrobe)", an ode to a cosmic lawnmower, from the 1972 album Selling England By the Pound. Also, a video of a live performance from the original tour, which is virtually indistinguishable from the one I saw last week.

DOWNLOAD I KNOW WHAT I LIKE (IN YOUR WARDROBE)

No comments: