Friday, January 25, 2008

There ain't no Devil, There's Just God When He's Drunk




It was that line that caught my attention back in 1983, when I first heard Tom Waits'growl while browsing at Vintage Vinyl in St. Louis. I asked the clerk who it was and he handed me this album, which I bought on the spot. Released in 1980, Heartattack and Vine was TW's last album for Asylum. It was also the last album released before he'd make a major stylistic shift with his career defining trilogy, beginning with Swordfishtrombones in 1983 and continuing with Rain Dogs and Frank's Wild Years. This album is filled with down and dirty blues and ballads, including Jersey Girls, which Bruce Springsteen would make famous playing live.

Here is the first song and title track

DOWNLOAD HEARTATTACK & VINE

No comments: