Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Born Again Music



"I was blinded by the devil
Born already ruined
Stone-cold dead
As I stepped out of the womb
By His grace I have been touched
By His word I have been healed
By His hand I've been delivered
By His spirit I've been sealed

I've been saved
By the blood of the lamb"

So begins the title track from Bob Dylan's 1980 LP "Saved" the second in a trilogy of straight up Evangelical Christian gospel records, released between 1979"s "Slow Train Coming" and 1981's "Shot of Love".



Dylan toured with a gospel choir, refusing to play any of his earlier secular material. This period would produce some truly beautiful songs, "I Believe in You" and "Every Grain of Sand" come to mind.

Today's download is a live version of "Saved" recorded in Toronto in 1981. To my ears the music is tight, uplifting, and played and sung with conviction.

DOWNLOAD SAVED

2 comments:

quickdraw said...

I think the file is bad...just downloaded it and it was about 3 seconds long with no sound. Bummer.

Simo said...

It should be fixed now