Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Like A Speeding Pantera




















I'll be out of town until Monday, so we'll have a couple of Guest Posts from FI Rare Soul Afficianado David Berthy


This song, off James Murphy’s (LCD Soundsystem) Fabric 36 record, was an instant favorite. I don’t know anything about Jackson Jones or the genesis of this song, which is fine, because I prefer to make that kind of information up: It’s Hollywood,1980 and Jackson wakes up at 7 at night, still wearing his sunglasses because he got so loaded at the David & David release party. He lights a menthol and looks next to him, where he’s confronted with the presence of a woman he has no recollection of meeting. Look at that fox, he thinks. Inspiration hits him like a speeding Pantera. He grabs a pen and writes, “If I were a carpenter, I would nail all over you…” and the rest just writes itself.

I Love Music, Jackson Jones