Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Everyone Goes Solo In The End



After having listened to Abbey Road consistantly for the past 30 years, I recently learned something fascinating that I never knew. In the song "The End" towards the end of side two*, McCartney, Harrison, and Lennon perform a rotating sequence of three, two-bar guitar solos.I guess I always just heard it as one solo. With Ringo's drum solo at the beginning of the song, all four Beatles take a solo on what was meant to be the last song on their last album (It didn't work out that way). Its kind of fun to try to figure out who is playing what in this sequence, which begins at 53 seconds in.

DOWNLOAD THE END



*my vote for best album side ever

1 comment:

quickdraw said...

Wow! Now that you mention that, you can tell there are 3 different guitar sounds there, but I never noticed it before. Cool discovery, Simo.