Thursday, January 15, 2009



David Berthy Posts

In response to the overwhelming mandate for more things posted from vinyl (or at least Tony B’s comment to Mike’s Townes Van Zandt post), I offer two selections procured from an ill-advised detour to Dusty Groove last week, where I found Odetta Sings and a number of other records I couldn’t possibly leave without. I love the unique sound of Odetta’s voice on the folk records of hers I own, but what caught my attention about this album was that a bunch of the songs were recorded at Alabama’s famed Muscle Shoals recording studio. The prospect of Odetta’s voice backed by the legendary session men at Muscle Shoals sold me, and the record doesn’t disappoint. You can really hear this pairing at its best on this re-recording of Odetta’s song “Hit or Miss.” As a bonus, I’ve also included a cover of the Randy Newman song “Mama Told Me Not To Come.”

Odetta Sings

No comments: