Thursday, January 29, 2009



David Berthy Posts

My sister gave me the new Kinks box set Picture Book for my birthday recently. For fans of the Kinks, it’s probably not the best investment, as no doubt you own most of the music already and the band’s later work is a mixed-bag at best, but Picture Book does reward with some rarities. I thought I’d share two of my favorites. The first is the hauntingly beautiful “I Go To Sleep,” a Ray Davies demo recorded in 1965 that explores the eerie side of unrequited love. Next up is a performance of “This Strange Effect” for the BBC. Another example of British melancholy, this track seems a natural for a bar scene in a David Lynch film where everyone drinks in silence except for two il-fated lovers who linger by the jukebox so they can play “This Strange

Kinks Rarities

2 comments:

Alvy said...

Your sister?

Simo said...

Thanks for the reminder...I've now corrected the post as belonging to db