Thursday, January 22, 2009



David Berthy Posts

“The More I See You” is an effervescent piece of lounge pop by sixties sensation Chris Montez that strikes a surprising note of sincerity. According to allmusic.com, Montez first played a part as one of the rockers who helped fill the void Ritchie Valens left in the early sixties LA Hispanic rock community. Later, he shifted his style after he fell under the tutelage of Herb Alpert and adopted the easygoing, mainstream approach you find on “The More I See You.” Incidentally, I’ve always detested Herb Alpert, not because I’ve actually listened to him much, but because of the distracting ubiquity of Tijuana Brass records in thrift store record bins across the country. Sadly, Montez fell out of favor after “The More I See You” and a few other MOR hits in 1966, though he still tours. Hopefully he makes frequent stops in Vegas, where I’d love to see him most.


Chris Montez

No comments: