Thursday, May 7, 2009


David Berthy Posts

In continuing with Leonard Cohen, here are some of my favorite covers
of his songs. Part of what was emotional about seeing the show last
night was listening to songs I’ve experienced as very personal in a
communal space. For me, it brought home how universal Cohen's subject
matter is. The two performers I’ve picked, Jeff Buckley and Antony,
understand that Cohen's songs at their best are about nothing less
than the human condition, and perform them with appropriate reverance.
As a bonus, I’ll throw in “Suzanne” as performed by French chanteuse
Francoise Hardy.

Cover Songs

1 comment:

Simo said...

my late breaking LC cover is Teddy Thomspon's (son of Richard & Linda) version of "Tonight Will Be Fine" from the concert film LC tribute I'm Your Man. He turns what was originally a tongue in cheek toss off into something beautiful and deeply moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W89j6GjPDI