Tuesday, May 12, 2009



Quickdraw Posts!

This past weekend Simo, Tony B. and I attempted an enthusiastic cover of the song Barracuda by Heart at the incredibly fun animal-themed uke cabaret "Uke Zoologica". As I was preparing for the considerable vocal challenge, I became a bit obsessed with the band. I have long been a fan of their pioneer status in the arena of female rockers as well as their infectious Zeppelin-influenced sound. I was struck, however, when I rediscovered the title track to their 1976 debut album Dreamboat Annie which I hadn't heard in years. In contrast to their more gritty singles, this one has a remarkable Carpenters-esque folky vibe, especially in the lead and backing vocals. Perhaps my favorite part of the song is the banjo roll in the second verse, giving it the feel of a dreamy yet slightly sad travelin' song.

Heart-Dreamboat Annie

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

It doesn't load for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Simo said...

Fixed!