Thursday, February 21, 2008

Heroes and Villains


Brian Wilson & Mike Love

When I was little, my parents took me and my brother to Streetside records from time to time and let each of us pick out an album. After a few missteps (Most notably Sha Na Na Live), I scored Endless Summer from the Beach Boys, a double best of collection.

Though I wasn't hip to who was singing what at that tender age, I could tell that there were two very different things going on. On the one hand, there was a high school guy football captain type singing faux Chuck Berry songs about surfboards, chicks, hot rods, and school lockers, and on the other was the class outcast singing complicated love songs and aural renderings of a strange and beautiful inner world. They featured incredibly lush harmonies and a warm emotional center.

I didn't think of it in these terms of course, but
it was the songs of Brian Wilson I was drawn to and the songs of Mike Love I skipped:

Brian Wilson (Hero):

The Warmth of The Sun
In My Room
Good Vibrations
God Only Knows
Let Him Run
Don't Worry Baby
Caroline No
Wouldn't it Be Nice
Wendy
Surfer Girl


Mike Love (Villain):

Surfing Safari
Be True to Your School
Little Deuce Coup
California Girls
Catch A Wave
Surfing USA
I Get Around (I Like this one!)
KOKOMO!!!!!!?????

No wonder Brian Wilson eventually lost his mind!

So as I head out today for a vacation to warmer climbs, it is of course a Brian Wilson Gem I leave you with.

DOWNLOAD SURFER GIRL

PS> FI will return next Tuesday

No comments: