Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Vision Deferred




Reading the paper, I saw a review
Said I was a visionary, but nobody knew
Now that's been a problem
feeling unseen
Just like I'm living somebody's dream

What am I doing anyway
Telling myself it's not too late

My children look away they don't know
what to say

So starts the first track "Not too Late" from Lindsey Buckingham's 2007 solo album, Under The Skin, released 34 years after his debut album with Stevie Nicks in 1973. Buckingham Nicks would be dropped from their label after the record stiffed and then join Fleetwood Mac a year later.

Buckingham is a hero of mine... as a guitar player (fingerpicker, no pick,ever), producer, singer, and songwriter. I like his willingness to lay himself absolutely bare before the listener. Hushed and direct, his voice is so close it sounds like its inside your head and his gorgeously amped up fingerpicking creates a suitably claustrophobic aura.

For my money, its one of the finer and more overlooked efforts of 2007.



DOWNLOAD NOT TOO LATE