Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Shoot the Whole Day Down



Another School related nugget I came across was The Boomtown Rats 1979 UK # 1 I don't Like Mondays. The song was written by lead rat Bob Geldof after reading a telex report on the shooting spree of 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer, who fired at children playing in a school playground across the street from her home in San Diego, California. She killed two adults and injured eight children and one police officer. Spencer showed no remorse for her crime, and her explanation for her actions was "I don't like Mondays.

Bob Geldof would go on to star in The Movie Version of Pink Floyd's The Wall in 1982, and then organize Live Aid in 1985, for which he would be knighted.

I Don't Like Mondays

1 comment:

Simo said...

All day long I've been listening to this song and its been reminding me of some other song that remained elusive. It just struck me that its "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum, who completely ripped off the Boomtown Rats!