Monday, September 22, 2008



I'd like to introduce you to Aquatron VX-33c. We found each other yesterday at Vintage Underground, a weekend-only basement shop on Milwaukee ave, run by a nice Catalonian gentleman who collects steamship memorabilia, much of which is on sale amidst an eclectic array of items. The full functioning mod 8-track player caught my eye and I knew in an instant that it was coming home with me. The owner agreed to give me the
8-track of my choice to take with it, and I chose The Hollies Greatest Hits, since Queen II was warped.

The Hollies formed in 1962 and were the second most successful singles band to come out of the UK after the Beatles. Their line-up included Graham Nash, whose vocal harmonies helped define their sound. Their string of hits ran right up through the Seventies and includes Bus Stop, Carrie Ann, He Ain't Heavy,the CCR inspired "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress", and today's post the psychedelic "King Midas in Reverse, with its full string, brass, and flute arrangements.

King Midas in Reverse