Tuesday, September 30, 2008




A few weeks ago, I was the winning bidder on a Heaven and Hell themed two CD mix at a Rock for Kids fundraiser. I was really bidding on the exquisitely embroidered cover, and the CDs inside were just a bonus in my eyes. The lead track on the first disc is "Up Jumped The Devil" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Its the only song of his I've listened to repeatedly and its really grown on me with each consecutive listen. One of you kind FI reader/listeners invited me to the sold out Nick Cave show last night at the Riv, which I had to decline due to other plans. I really would like to have gone, as Nick Cave is one those artists whose appeal has somehow eluded me for many years. I hear he's terrific live and suspect the experience would have demystified him for me. He is widely adored by music lovers of all types and is consistently heralded by the critics, yet the few songs I've heard over the years have failed to connect with me. He comes across to me as a sort of goth Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen, but in a more generic way.

If any of you NC fans are tuning in here, please write a comment as to which is your favorite NC album and why!

Up Jumped The Devil

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, you missed a great show. no more shall we part may not be the favorite albulm of most, but i love it - if you're in "sad mode" maybe wait to listen

Anonymous said...

oops, did i write albuLm - ah well - regardless, i think if you are looking for some nick cave to like, that is the album for you...